Flavor & Texture
- Delicate Cold Smoked Flavor
- Ivory meat with Golden finish
- Supple flaky texture
- Smoked sablefish can be eaten raw when propperly thawed using Otolith’s Rapid Thaw technique.
- Grill: 400 indirect flame, covered for 10-15 to warm through. Not necessary to flip while cooking. Remove fillet from the heat and allow it to rest for 4 minutes before serving.
- Bake: 400 uncovered with a braising liquid about half way up the side of the fillet for 10-15 minutes until warmed through.
- Pan Sear: In a hot lightly oiled skillet, place fillet skin-side down for 5 minutes, add liquid and cook covered for aditional 5-7 minutes until warmed through and meat lifts easily from the skin. Total cooking time should be no longer than 10 minutes per inch of thickness for a thawed fillet.
Amanda’s Serving Suggestions
- Smoked sablefish is an excellent substitute for smoked eel in sushi. It adds flavor to any sushi or sashi recipe and tastes good when combined with other fresh fish flavors in the dragon roll and rainbow rolls.
- Smoked sablefish can be used to make cevice’. This smoked sablefish cevice’ recipe was provided to me by one of Otolith’s CSS clients. It is rich and zesty with well balanced acidity and saltiness. It makes an ultra schick appetizer or tapas syle entree.
- For a hearty and rustic treat, cook smoked sablefish in a diluted acidic braising liquid that only fills your pan or dish about half way up the sides of the fillet. This effect can be easily acheived by cuting fillets into portions first then fitting the fillets snugglly into any small glass dish or pan. Then poor a modest amount of diluted white wine, lemon juice or any acidic liquid over the fillets and set them to bake for 15 minutes. Serve the smoked braised sablefish with boiled new potatoes and carmelized onions. Place the cooked fish on a plate, top it with onions and some potatoes on the side, then drizzle the cooking liquid and some fresh chopped parsely over everything. This recipe can be preped and cooked in 30 minutesand it will compliment any complex spicy and oaky white wine.